Hôm nay, blog luyện thi ielts msdiep sẽ giới thiệu với các bạn đang học ielts online một số cặp từ hay bị dùng nhầm nghĩa hoặc gây bối rối cho người nói ( Confusing Words ), không chỉ trong phần thi ielts speaking mà còn cả trong các tình huống thường ngày nhé!
– principal: both a noun and an adjective, mostly used as an adjective, meaning: (adj) primary, most important, main, major or (noun) a person who holds an important role, mostly used with the meaning ‘head teacher’.
Examiner: What are the factors which contribute to global warming?
Candidate: One of the principal factors in global warming is the greenhouse effect. Human activities are enhancing this effect due to the increasing use of heating or transportation. Another well-known one is the change in solar output.
– principle is a noun only, meaning: a belief, rule, standard, law.
Examiner: What do you think about reducing the working week to thirty five hours to decrease the unemployment rate?
Candidate: While this may sound good in principle, in practice it may be impossible to apply. It’s easy to see that more employees equals to more cost, which reduces a company’s competitiveness and its net income.
– “continuous” indicates duration without interruption.
Examiner: What is your opinion on exams?
Candidate: Personally I believe that continuous assessment will allow people to work steadily rather than depend on an intensive exam period.
– “continual” indicates duration that continues over a long period of time, but with intervals of interruption.
Examiner: What have governments done in regard to climate change?
Candidate: Governments of developing countries have continually held conferences on climate change and its potential threats to the lives of people as well as animals.
– “discover” is to determine the existence, presence, or fact of something.
– “invent” is to come up with an idea, a plan, an explanation, a theory, or a principle after a mental effort.
Examiner: What was your childhood dream?
Candidate 1: Well, I used to, and still do, have huge respect for Sir Alexander Fleming. So I wanted so badly to discover something meaningful for the human race, just like what he did with penicillin.
Candidate 2: I grew up surrounded by technology devices and felt the full impact that computers made. I hoped to invent something great later in my life.
Tham khảo thêm các tài liệu luyện thi ielts và cách học ielts và làm các dạng bài ielts writing, ielts listening, speaking ielts, ielts reading tại blog luyện thi ielts online msdiep để chuẩn bị tốt cho kì thì ielts sắp tới nhé
Bài học tiếp theo